Sunday, March 20, 2011

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet

This Sunday I'm joining Ricki Jill at Art@Home What we are reading party 


Early last year I was looking for something to read that wouldn't take just a couple of days, and I certainly found it, Pillars of the Earth is a huge book written by Ken Follet with a historical story that weaves through the lives of a country village and its inhabitants, so in depth is it that this huge book becomes one of a trilogy of huge books all equally enthralling, I do read quite fast but each book took weeks to read and the journey was as educational as it was enjoyable.
This book made me appreciate that I was born in these current times, especially being female, it gave me a real insight into the lives of the women and particularly those born to the lower classes, it was so life like that you felt you where right there.
This is one of the few books I have read that I wished would never end, in fact the only good thing about the end of this one was there where 2 more books in the triology for me to read.
I would recommend this if you enjoy Historical Romances but with more history than romance.

9 comments:

  1. It sounds intriguing. I might have to look for them. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - thank you for linking up to our party! Pillars of the Earth is my parents' favorite book of all times. I recently watched the mini-series but have not yet read the book. Great meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like James Michener novels which I used to read (and love). I also hated when they ended as I would get enthralled with the story. Thanks for reviewing this book as it sounds like one I might like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book and have read #2 and bought #3. I'm saving it for a long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Ken Follett books that my husband has read in the past are nothing like the one you've reviewed for us today.
    I shall look out for it, many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I"m reading Pillars right now too. I actually started during the holidays and had to put it down. Like you said, it is not ready in a night or two like I typically do. I'm ready to start up again now that I have a bit more spare time. Loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for linking-up to our party! The series sounds like something I would like. Great review! Thanks, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like another commenter this does not sound like the type of Ken Follet my husband normally enjoys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will certainly look for this book. It sounds interesting and I am an avid reader. Maybe it is written by one of Sue's relatives!!

    ReplyDelete