Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hawkesbury College- Australian Buildings #2

I thought I would share with you photos a of an unexpected trip I had to make today to a Campus of the University of Western Sydney, it is in a very historic area and I was delighted by the examples of historical architecture that was there and the established trees are divine, it used to be called The Hawkesbury Agriculture College and it opened in 1891 and quickly established a reputation as the finest agricultural college in the country. Students arrived at the college in 1896 and it was around this time that the Stables Square (1896) was completed to cater for the draught horses which, at the time, were the standard form of farm energy and the Blacksmiths Shop (1894) were built.
I absolutely love the established gardens and those date palms just scream Colonial Sydney ,its also very rare to see ivy climbing walls of Sydney buildings mainly because as nice as they look they are a haven for insects and spiders, not a good thing when some  of the deadliest known to mankind are around, as much as I would like to do this I have to defer to my more thoughtful husband and agree that it is not worth the risk.
And how I would love to have a buggy as a garden ornament,my idea of perfect.

 Join me at Debbie Doos Newbie Party and
Dear Little Red House Mosaic Monday and also at

 a southern daydreamer outdoor-wednesday

18 comments:

  1. What a pretty campus. Imagine being a student there - getting to walk under those trees every day.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, that would be a wonderful place to attend college..just beautiful. Thanks for joining my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love decorating and gardening. Welcome to blogging. I found you on Debbies Newbie Party. I am also new to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous mosaic. A wonderful place to attend school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a campus? Where's the concrete? Where are the ugly and poorly conceived buildings? My desire to visit Australia grows daily...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your mosaic. Looks like a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hiya visiting you from debbies newbie party x great pics and tfs, hope to se you at mine soon
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to have found you at Little Red House for Mosaic Monday. Beautiful post! Amazing story.

    Sending love from Texas...

    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, I never thought of that. That's a horrid thought, that the spiders might hide in the ivy.

    I was wondering a couple of days ago why it is that you have all those dangerous creatures and we don't in England, when the climate is quite simliar. Well, a little bit similar!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely mosaic, Sharon. Sounds like a very interesting campus. The buggy is so neat. I'd love a ride in it!
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon your mosaic is wonderful! What a beautiful campus this is. Seeing your photos made me miss Australia...I wish I had more time to see more when I traveled there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures! Great blog! Found you from Debbiedoos :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having joined Mosaic Monday this week I am now enjoying blog hopping around the world admiring everyone else's beautiful photography and gaining inspiration. It cheers me when so much of the world around us is in turmoil for one reason or another.

    What a beautiful campus!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are lovely! The vintage charm is just irresistible. Have a delightful day, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful buildings and the grounds look so green and gorgeous! I agree with you, the ivy would not be worth the risk.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - what a beautiful campus...thank you for sharing!

    Hope you have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. G'day Sharon ~ TY for your visit ... What a lovely campus. My hubby so loves in down under. He traveled throughout your great land & into the outback. Enjoy visiting thru the web.

    Have a beautiful day ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete