Sunday, February 27, 2011

Australiana House Styles and Memories!

This is a collage I did for Mosaic Monday,
recently I have been looking at architecture, I love the older Australian styles and wanted to show how they have influenced us when we built our home.Yes I wish I could have bought and original old home however in the area we wanted to live in there where very few available and they cost a fortune plus maintenance is a huge factor so we compromised and built brand new.

Our biggest influence was the Federation style home but we have taken a little from all of them, a Verandah was a big must have and is an important part of Australian homes, not just for aesthetics but they help to keep the house cool, and growing up in the 60's and 70's without Air conditioning or insulation in a flat roofed fibro house we slept many a hot night on the front Verandah of our home, yes PJ's and all, my Dad would sleep at the entry of the Verandah and my 2 sisters and I would be safe behind him, poor mum of course slept inside in the heat. Nowadays with A/C and swimming pools those summer nights of sitting on the steps talking to the neighbours late into the evening and having an impromptu  water fight with the garden hose are just distant memories. I imagine if I tried to get my kids to sleep on the verandah someone would have called the authorities for child cruelty although believe it or not we are in an area that this would still safe to do so.
I am off to  debbie doos newbie party and  Mosaic Monday come and join us:)


13 comments:

  1. I love a brick house, and yours looks very cosy, tucked into the shrubbery. Those memories of childhood nights sleeping on the porch remind me of my childhood at my grandparents bungalow when we'd sleep on the screened porch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super-cool mosaic! :D Your house is so lovely.

    xoxoxo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beautiful looking home! I love the pictures of the other homes too.

    I'm here from Debbiedoo's party and am your newest follower. I'd love it if you'd come by my new blog too.

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I found your link on Debbiedoos and am definitely now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks gorgeous! Thanks for joining me. Please add my link to your post...thanks. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a lot of things we can't do now that we used to do. It's nice to have lovely memories. Your mosaic is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to see homes and structures from your country. Yours is beautiful! Isn't blogging great? :)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mosaic is beautiful. Lovely homes. Thanks for sharing. Karie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Sharon, it is great to see another Aussie at Mosaic Monday. Thanks for sharing the Australian architecture and the story of sleeping out on the verandah - a great Aussie tradition that has disappeared into the past sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful homes Sharon! I was drawn to the Federation Style. Oh how fun to be able to sleep outside without any worries, what great memories!
    Love your mosaic and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such lovely homes..love the concept of mosaic Monday! I am glad to have found your blog....hope you will stop by mine, since you like homes we have this in common:) My new blog (2 months old) is about the building of our new home and my passion for decor/design. Please swing by, I will most certainly come back here!
    www.theenchantedhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your mosaic. Your home is lovely and looks so inviting. I'm your 100th follower! I'm almost there too so I hope you'll come and visit me at Cottage and Creek. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your pretty home today.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are lovely - I can see why you liked them - wonderful to be able to use these as inspiration -
    Hope you have a great day,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete