Saturday, January 15, 2011

Now I Know, I Want a Zen Garden!



 Every garden has that one spot that just leaves you scratching your head ,you try everything and it all fails ,well now I think I have found my ultimate solution.
In my constant attempts to keep my garden cool and comfortable and protect us from the harsh elements, some areas especially those under the trees have become barren wastelands of dirt, and my solution is a Japanese Zen Garden ,well my take on a Zen Garden anyway.
I intend to start next week, I will need to truck in some white pebbles ,buy some stone lanterns and perhaps even a bamboo water feature ,I am so excited I can't wait to start ,now all I need to do is wake my husband who is having his Suday afternoon siesta and tell him the good news ,keep your fingers crossed for me !
I would also appreciate any suggestions for suitable plants with the Zen influence that can cope with dry shady areas.

See how dry it is ,at the bottom right hand corner

a few pebbles ,a rake and viola! I hope to end up with something a little like this!

I think the trunks of this tree will suit perfectly and maybe some uplighting for the night, already my ambitions are running away!

Who knows I may end up with something as colourful as this!


I am also linking to Metamorphis Monday http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2011/01/and-so-it-begins-building-of-home.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20BetweenNapsOnThePorch%20(BETWEEN%20NAPS%20ON%20THE%20PORCH) Pleae pop over and have a look

And I am Linking to Mosaic Monday Party at the following link

7 comments:

  1. Sharon,
    Thanks so much for stopping by my kitchen today. With Spring coming up soon, I look forward to watching your blog for some gardening ideas! I enjoy working with my flower garden but am not very knowledgeable about plants. Lots to learn! :) Have a great evening.
    ~Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon - I'm stopping by from BNOTFP Metamorphasis Monday :) I'm right after your link. I always had a zen garden (desktop size) ;) in my offices (I'm a therapist) & it was amazing how many people did not know what they are! I can't wait to see the outcome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your enthusiasm - can't wait to watch your garden take shape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon: The Japanese and the Chinese have zen gardening techniques done just right. The incorporate a lot of natural elements with texture to make a restful place to sit and visit. Look for books of inspiration. I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am stopping by from Mosaic Monday. A zen garden would be wonderful and a very relaxing place. I'm sure yours will be wonderful when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sharon ~ You could use Acer palmatum 'Dissectum',Azaleas, low growing Juniper.

    Great blog!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitley am thinking of Azaleas,I only have 2 in my garden so far ,the tree that I have here is a Bauhinia ,watch during February for the picture of the flowers they actually look like Mauve Orchids!

    ReplyDelete